POTTON HISTORY SOCIETY
Copyright © Potton History Society. Compiled with Serif WebPlusX8. Author Dave Thompson.
New version started 17 January 2016 | Site last updated 4th December 2020
His assistant. Eva Pokorova, was a 1930's racing driver. In the 1950's the couple worked on a plan to manufacture a small family car based on a German 'Champion' design.
Otto von Smekal converted the ballroom of the Victorian Manor house into a science laboratory during the Second World War in an attempt to convert coal into oil.
Plans were submitted for a car factory in the Manor grounds which never came about. Eva lived the life of a recluse after the death of Otto in 1966 until her own death in 1977.
The 'Potton Car' was aquired by the National Motor Museum in 1977. It is now owned by Potton History Society and has been restored so that it can run under its own power.
The Potton Car with Eva Pokorova at the wheel
The full story of the Potton Car can be found in the Potton History Society publication
Changes made to the Manor by von Smekal
The full story of the Potton Manor can be found in the Potton History Society publication
Back to Top